Tuesday 6 March 2012

Tutorial Two - Occupational Engagement-do, be, become, belong.

  My fieldwork - Powerpoint about Anxiety Management.

My fieldwork was in a maternal mental health setting.There my supervising occupational therapist worked with clients on improving their function at daily living by (in some cases) helping them develop techniques to manage their anxiety.

Accordingly, I chose activities related to reducing and managing anxiety, as the basis for this powerpoint. I chose anxiety because most of us could do with help in managing stress or anxiety, even at a low level. I believe anxiety management occupations enhance other meaningful occupation.

Occupational therapists assist people by enabling their occupation in meaningful activities, namely activities which are important to the client, no matter what they are. Occupation is about what people DO, what they can then BE and BECOME, and by which they can then BELONG.

My slideshow (or powerpoint presentation) is at the bottom of this post.
  Themes in my PowerpointAlthough occupation is seen by some as doing, as "goal-directed, purposeful activities, occupation is about more than doing. It is a synthesis of 'doing, being and becoming' "(Wilcock, 1998, cited in  Hammel, 2004, p 301 ). Being is a state of existence."'To 'be' in this sense requires that people have time to discover themselves, to reflect and , to simply exist" (Wilcock, 1998b, p 255). Occupational therapists help people become the people they can be. They help them develop talents and competencies to enable them to become. (Wilcock,1998b , p 251). Finally, occupation helps people gain a sense of belonging. good health outcomes and occupations help people's capacities to do things, and to experience not only meaning and satisfaction, but "belonging and sharing" Wilcock, 1998a, p 343) .  I now explain these principles in terms of the slides in my powerpoint. My slideshow about anxiety management occupations contains individual captions relating many of the slides to the do, be, become and belong theme. The power point shows first, the general feelings and impaired functioning that stress and anxiety can have (images 1,5,6 and 7). The slideshow also shows specific examples of stress impacting on the act of feeding a toddler (doing) (image 2), and using the kitchen (image 3).  There are also slides of people doing things to combat their anxiety, like being in an anxiety group or watching DVDs for education on anxiety (eg image 17).There are slides showing how people with reduced anxiety are able to just "be", that is, exist ( images 18 and 19 are intended to show people being with nature).  In terms of becoming, anxiety management can help people become calmer and do their activities better (images 10 and 11). The can become better functioning (image 13) and become more of the person they wish to be (image 16, belonging to a baseball team). As well, participation in an anxiety support group may bring a sense of belonging, both to the group and to the wider world (images 14 and 15).  Ethical considerations This was the first time I had ever sought images online, and used them in my own work. I used Google Images for some photographs, but made sure I linked through to see those images published on the particular website on which they had been published. I also made sure I referenced those websites as sources.For my own photographs, I made sure my photos did not identify individual people, by not showing their faces. It would be possible to obtain proper consent from people to use their images online, but that consent would need to be full especially in terms of the world wide web.  As well, in my case I photographed 13 year olds, and would not consider they were competent to give appropriate consent - their parents would have needed to give that consent as they are minors.  
References Hammell, K.W. (2004). Dimensions of meaning in the occupations of daily life.  Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71 (5).  

Wilcock, A.A. (1998a).  Occupation for health.  British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 61, 340-345. 

Wilcock, A.A. (1998b).  Reflections on doing, being becoming.  Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 248-256.    



View more PowerPoint from PIOluddite

No comments:

Post a Comment